Monday, November 30, 2009

Black Friday Realization

Usually when Black Friday comes around I'm super excited. I'm all for the thrill of staying up, rushing around to get to the mall, waiting in the lines for the outrageous deals and sleeping the rest of the day away. By this time of the year I'm always loaded with cash ready to buy everything I need and most importantly everything that I want. My sister and I make a plan of the stores we're gonna go to based on the deals that they are offering. Even though I'm tired by the end of the event I'm always satisfied with my finds and super excited to show them off. But this year...it was so not the case, unfortunately for me I went, I saw and needless to say I did not conquer.

First thing is, I was not planning on going until like a day or two before the "big day". So given this, I was not able to hype myself up and get prepared properly for the shopping. My mother ended up feeling sorry for me, lol, I think and she gave me money to get the stuff that I needed. Plus my sister was fussing about how I could not ditch her because every year we go out and shop. So armed with a card full of cash and my sister at my side, I walked into the mall. Now because I got accustom to spending wisely and thinking twice before every purchase, the "deals" didn't seem like real "deals" to me. I walked in and out of almost every store and did not pick up anything. It was terrible, I would see something I liked and pick it up, inspect it and the price, then put that sucker right back on the rack. Knowing the situation that my family is in, I just cant spend the money because it is there. I know that the money can and will eventually go to something more important than a shirt or a pair of jeans or shoes that I could have bought. Usually, I'm so absorbed in the hype that I forget that the money doesn't really need to be spent. I over do it sometimes and it doesn't really benefit me. Materials things can always come and go. My new view on things helps me to realize the more important things and I value this experience because it will help me make wise decisions in the future. Many people I know spend plently money that they do not have. At least I see myself ahead of the curve. Even though I have it doesn't mean that I should spend it.

Lesson learned.


Until next time, (I'll be patting myself on the back)


MM

4 comments:

CityChick said...

I never shop Black friday. I feel that mob mentality takes over and you end up with useless crap that no one fits into. my 2 cents...

Anonymous said...

I'm actually surprised & glad that noone got stomped to death this year...(Seems to be happening every year)

Gabby Elizabeth said...

It's so funny because I have never once been shopping on black friday but I can identify with how you feel about material things. I always want to buy things but then I think about the big more important things I want in the future ie: A condo. Its hard but lately I've been trying to think different too.

Linda said...

thats pretty much what i did. only got two things and spending more smartly. it's great that you have such self control. my sisters need to learn that lol.